'Slutty Brownies', as inspired by Rosie

10:17 Leila Gunn 4 Comments

Today I thought I'd post something a little different....

The other day, I was telling my friend Ola about a recipe I had seen on Rosie's site (http://www.thelondoner.me/2011/06/slutty-brownies.html) called 'Slutty Brownies' which looked beyond delicious. Her recipe also looked pretty straight forward, which is perfect for someone like me who isn't quite Delia Smith in the kitchen... yet. So with time to kill and rumbling stomachs, we decided to spend the first day of our Summer holidays baking. Says it all really doesn't it!



Rosie's original recipe advised that we use cookie and brownie ready mixes - to quote Rosie, 'life's just too short' to make them from scratch. We liked this idea - less washing up right? So we took a quick trip to the shop to buy our mixes.

It should have been pretty straight forward, all you have to do is chuck it all into a bowl, mix it together and you're ready to go! Unless, like us, you only buy one box of cookie mix which serves 8, and therefore doesn't even cover the whole base of the tin.....

Which meant we had to improvise, making our own cookie dough instead (for some reason we thought this would be less effort than just taking another trip to the shop...)

Our recipe was as follows;


  • 1 pack of cookie mix
  • 1 pack of brownie mix
  • 2 packs of Oreos (You could probably use any biscuit really, I reckon the more chocolaty the better. I was looking at some Cadburys caramel biscuits in the shop which looked rather tempting...)

Extra cookie dough;


  • 175 grams butter

  • 215 grams Plain flour


  • 1 egg yolk

  • 110 grams Caster sugar


  • 65 grams of chocolate chips (I actually advise you use more than this (I did). Let's be honest, if you're making cookie dough-Oreo-brownies, what harm are a few extra chocolate chips going to do? And it makes for a gooier brownie - win!)

  • 2 tsp vanilla extract

  • Water (No set amount - just enough to get a 'squidgy' consistency)


It's best to make the cookie dough first as it is the first layer. We made the cookie mix and then added the home-made cookie dough, but of course you can skip the mix completely and make the cookie dough from scratch.

Begin by preheating the oven to 180°C, or if your oven is as ridiculously hot as mine, 20°C less than advised - I think this is why our brownie wasn't as gooey as we would have liked. Just keep poking a metal skewer in the top - if it comes out covered in hot brownie, get it out of the oven pronto! In my opinion - the gooier the brownie the better.

Anyway, here's our method to make the cookie dough - I admit it was a little bit trial and error but we used the 'BBC Good Food; adaptable cookie dough' recipe to guide us....

1. Add the butter and Caster sugar to a bowl and cream together until smooth.


2. Add the egg yolk and mix. Then add the plain flour, vanilla extract and mix well.



3. Then come the chocolate chips (go on, be generous!)


4. If the cookie dough still seems too dry, add a little water until the texture is 'squidgy'

5. And you're done! Spoon into a grease-lined baking tray (or use baking paper like us)



6. You're then ready to add the Oreos. We couldn't get 5 Oreos in each line - we snapped a couple in half just so we didn't miss out.




Time to move onto the Brownies! As I said, we just used the ready mix for this, but if you have time feel free to make them from scratch.

There's not a lot to talk about with this one - all you need is 1 egg. The method on the back of the box talks you through the rest.... Sooooo easy and minimal washing up i.e. my kind of cooking!




Pour the brownie mix on top of the Oreos and chuck it in the oven - bake for 35-50 minutes depending on how gooey you want the brownie to be.



And of course, you can't start cleaning up before licking the spoon - you've earned it!



Here's our finished product - yes it tasted as good as it looked, even if I do say so myself....



Leave on a baking tray to cool - but I'd recommend sneaking a piece whilst still warm if you like melted chocolate... You could also try cutting it into shapes like us (it was a friend's 18th birthday party in the evening - a homemade 'Slutty Brownie' made a nice alternative to a birthday cake.)




So I hope you've enjoyed my slightly random blog post and my questionable recipe... if you don't trust my recipe entirely (I forgive you in advance), give Rosie's a try. Admittedly hers looked even better than mine.

To be fair though, I've only recently got into cooking. Although I don't enjoy it that much yet, it's just one of those life skills you inevitably have to learn - whilst I have some free time over the Summer I might as well get started.... So I was thinking about posting a 'Recipe of the week' or something along those lines, so you can all have a good laugh at my lack of cooking ability.

But I'd really recommend giving this recipe a go. Eating it warm with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream for dessert is just delightful. Although it may be 1000000000000 calories per piece, trust me, it's worth it!

4 comments:

  1. oh. my. god. this is absolutely delightful! How can I not have this?!? Going on my making list for sure! xx
    www.emilyjanewebb.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh yes I've long been meaning to try making these. Well done!

    Krissie x - http;//pearlsofstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is mouth watering. YUM!
    xx
    Mademoiselle Coconath
    http://mllecoconath.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes the recipe that made Rosie famous! Looks so yummy!

    Heba xx The Heba

    ReplyDelete